**And just an FYI: if you see a book listed on my blog that is part of a series, just go ahead and assume that I've read all the books, or am working on reading ALL the books within that series. I may not always list them on here but trust me - they were read.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fever 1793

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

So I know that this book is actually on some schools "summer reading" lists and I thought it was pretty good for being a historical novel.

This story is about the life of teenager, Matilda (Mattie) Cook. It's set in Philadelphia while the yellow fever was running like wild fire. You follow Matilda through the beginning of when the sickness arrives in Philly and you follow her until the end of the epidemic. Matilda lives with her mother and grandfather (both of whom contract the fever) and who seem to think they know what's best for her - while of course, she thinks they are nuts. For being what this story is about it actually shows you a lot about finding yourself and your confidence in stressful situations. It wasn't one of my favorite books I've read as of late, but it was still a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment