**And just an FYI: if you see a book listed on my blog that is part of a series, just go ahead and assume that I've read all the books, or am working on reading ALL the books within that series. I may not always list them on here but trust me - they were read.

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

Author: Ben Sherwood

So most of you out there know this book is now a movie. I requested this particular book about 2 months ago from the library and finally got it last week. I read it yesterday, you know-Sunday afternoon and all, and absolutely loved it!!

Charlie St. Cloud lost his brother to an auto accident. The 16-wheelers driver was drunk and they just couldn't get out of the way. Charlie and Sam made a promise to each other. They would ALWAYS be together - but then Charlie disappeared in front of Sam. Turns out Charlie was saved, brought back from death. Now, he can see his little brother, even play ball or swim with him. Ten years later Charlie is still working and managing the graveyard. He spends his days helping other spirits come to terms with what happened to them just waiting for sundown when his little brother shows up to play.

You may be wondering - does Charlie St. Cloud have a life outside the cemetery?? Well....he does find hope in a woman named Tess. But, their relationship is something else. The best way I can describe it is to use the quote from the beginning of the book:
       
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience
                - Pierre Teilhard De Chardin

I suggest you go ahead and get on your library's waiting list for this book. The best part about it is it's all in one. You won't find yourself waiting around impatiently for the next one, like I often find myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment