**And just an FYI: if you see a book listed on my blog that is part of a series, just go ahead and assume that I've read all the books, or am working on reading ALL the books within that series. I may not always list them on here but trust me - they were read.

Monday, June 28, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Author: Stieg Larsson

Alright, this book was difficult for me to jump into. The story itself was good over all (now that I'm done and can look back at the book in it's entirety), but I really had a hard time enjoying the read. I think maybe it's because it is translated from Swedish and somethings in language just do not transfer well into others. Anyway, I stuck with it and finally finished in fours days what I normally would have read in a day (when I'm really enjoying it).

I don't even know how to put into words what this story is really about so I'm just going to re-type what is on the inside jacket cover. Sorry ahead of time....but I just don't even know where to start:

"A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and a financial intrigue.
It's about Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden....and about her octogenarian uncle, determinied to know the truth about what he believes is her murder.
It's about Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently at the wrong end of a libel case, hired to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance...and about Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old pierced and tattooed genius hacker possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone half her age - and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness to go with it- who assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running though the Vanger family, astonishing corruption in the highest echelons of Swedish industrialism - and an unexpected connection between themselves."

I know that Larsson wrote two subsequent novels after this before he died in 2004, but I'm not sure I'll read them right away. I'll get to them - just not in a real hurry. I'm a fan of the actual girl with the tattoo - so of course I've gotta follow along to see what becomes of her, but it may be awhile before that happens. I vote you give it a try, some of you may like it more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment